Visual Studio 2017 with Beta 11 - some issues to report >

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
FFF

Post by FFF »

Good morning, Wolfgang!
sometimes i feel as if half of my posts seem to be invisible, as noone bothers to read them...

I asked for a notice, that this poor folder contains files i can't see in SE, prior to their erasing.

And, gosh, an easy means to move these to another location.

Then the folder may be gone, don't care if to bin or hell.

Is this really such a difficult concept / difficult to implement / break VS / brake sourcesave?
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
robert

Post by robert »

Wolfgang,

Indeed there could be more files in the folder. That is why I changed the behavior to not simply delete the folder with all of its contents, but to move it to the trash can.

Adding a check and displaying a warning when there are excluded files may be something that I will implement on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

But not now, Summer is coming !

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert,

I agree that there are more important things to do in the VS integration that such a functionality (that does not even the C# offers).

IMHO you have done very great things with X# in the last 18 months! But there remains a lot to do, not only for the VS integration.

Anyway, X# is very usable, and I like programming with it.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert, Fabrice and Team,

I have just come across a serious issue, as far as the productivity of the X# user is concerned. It is simple to understand.

While trying to tidy up the 'USING' statements at the head of a code file (for an on-going thread to others etc.) I found that if I place the text editing cursor before a '//' at the head of the PRG file I get a terminal error. The VS instance eventually closes and sometimes restarts.

It looks to me as if it is when the start of the code file in one or more comments lines starting with '//'. I can reproduce it easily here, on more than one file.

Here is what I am talking about :-
FFstopper_06.jpg
FFstopper_06.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 147 times
And what started the whole issue for me was more like this :-
FFstopper_03.jpg
FFstopper_03.jpg (92.76 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Luckily (perhaps) I seemed to get an error box one about one time in three when this happened. Here is what I captured :-
FFstopper_01.jpg
FFstopper_01.jpg (114.87 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Let me know if there is anything more I can do to help you guys. Are there any log files you require or the likes ?

Cheers,
Phil.
robert

Post by robert »

Phil,
Thanks for the report.

We are aware of this bug. It is already fixed in our development build.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Phil,

I assume you had this issue with other projects as well? I've updated my "Teletekstbrowser" (Translate this as Ceefax Browser) and done this in both Vulcan and X#. The X# version now works 100% as the Vulcan version does.

I've removed VS 2017 from my PC's. After a very troublesome install procedure (See NG; I spent one Action Pack Incident to help Microsoft solve this) I found that Universal Apps in VS 2015 ended up in a "Unknown Error"; Microsoft error messages are helpful as ever. Until I have all my Vulcan projects running in X#, I need VS 2015. As the announced dramatic improvements in VS 2017 speed proved to be non existing I saw no real other reasons to use VS 2017. An again very troublesome de-install procedure followed by a very troublesome install procedure of VS 2015. This was most likely caused however by some disabled processes, I suspect the AVG PC Cleanup to have done this in my attempt to remove all the rubbish, like registry entries, VS leaves behind after a de-installation. Now everything works again in VS 2015 and I will leave it like that without further updates until I have a day or so spare time to do new troubleshooting.

What I want to say with this is that it seems to work well in VS 2015 as I did some coding in the XAML click events. Robert confirmed this to be a bug but everyone who still has VS 2015 can , I think, use that to avoid this problem.

Dick