Happy Birthday FORTRAN, and its one-based array technology !

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Frank,

I know about several very serious and large projects made in Visual Basic 6.0.

Neither VBA nor VB is a toy.

Personally, I hate Basic, but it is not correct to define these tools as toys. These are ages beyond the GWBasic that came with MS DOS.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Frank Maraite

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi Wolfgang,

did you see my smily?

I know that. I use such a realy complex system to organize my work as a surveyor. I did BASIC from 1977 up to 1985.

The idea of having arrays with flexible upper and lower bounds seems very good on the first seight but also seem to have heavy cons too. Otherwise we had this in other languages too I think.

Frank
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi K-H and any/all non-zero guys,

As an exercise in learning X# syntax etc., I have made a Generic class which is really just a wrapper which goes around a .NET System.Array object. Tested with Int and String so far.

So all I do really is to convert the start and end "one dimensional" index array values. I am adding more nice little features now that things seem to be working ;-0) Can't resist it !

A two dimensional version will come later when I have solved all the problems. Try this for an example of use :-
XBasedArrays_01.jpg
XBasedArrays_01.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Plans are in progress to be able to 'Add' an element, as well as Filling a range from an input array. You know, the stuff we have in ArrayList and List<T>. I think I may also handle resizing in some nice and "easy to use" way.

PLEASE all note that this is done as a good way of learning X#, Generics, and feeling familiar with more complex syntax than just the usual 'bread and butter' stuff.

Now time for bed ;-0)
Cheers,
Phil.